Tuesday Tips for Caregivers – 10 Symptoms of Caregiver Stress
Are you so overwhelmed with your duty as a caregiver to a loved one that you have neglected your own physical, mental, and/or emotional well-being? If you find yourself pushing your needs aside, then you may be putting your health at risk. This list was created to point out some major symptoms of unhealthy stress. Whenever stress is a concern, we must realize that in order to be the best caregiver possible, it’s important that we maintain our health and happiness first.
Here are the 10 symptoms of caregiver stress:
1. Denial about the disease and its effect on the person who’s been diagnosed.
I know Mom is going to get better.
2. Anger at the person with Alzheimer’s or others, anger that no cure exists or anger that people don’t understand what’s going on.
If he asks me that question one more time I’ll scream!
3. Social Withdrawal from friends and activities that once brought pleasure.
I don’t care about getting together with the neighbors anymore.
4. Anxiety about facing another day and what the future holds.
What happens when he needs more care than I can provide?
5. Depression that begins to break your spirit and affects your ability to cope.
I don’t care anymore.
6. Exhaustion that makes it nearly impossible to complete necessary daily tasks.
I’m way too exhausted for this.
7. Sleeplessness caused by a never-ending list of concerns.
What if she wanders out of the house or falls and hurts herself?
8. Irritability that leads to moodiness and triggers negative responses and actions.
Leave me alone!
9. Lack of Concentration that makes it difficult to perform familiar tasks.
I was so busy; I forgot we had an appointment set up for today.
10. Health Problems that begin to take their toll, both mentally and physically.
I can’t remember the last time I felt good.
To speak with us ElderCare at Home
Feel free to call us at (888) 285-0093. Thanks for joining us for today’s Tuesday Tips for Caregivers and we’ll see you again next week!