Tuesday Tips for Caregivers – 8 Ways to Preserve Your Aging Loved One’s Independence
So, how can we help keep our loved ones independent?
- Ensure that your loved one stays in compliance with their primary care physician and any other specialists.
- Promote and encourage healthy eating habits and light exercise/activity.
- Encourage your loved one to participate in activities throughout community or have him/her spend some hours at the local senior center.
- Make sure the your loved ones home is safe and equipped with the appropriate tools to keep them at home (i.e. Hand rails, shower chair and grab bars, home is free from rugs that could cause them to trip while walking).
- Equip your loved one with a life alert or device that will alert medical professionals in the event that he or she has a crisis.
- When caring for an aging loved one, medication management plays a big part in their health. Ensure that your loved one is taking his or her medications on time and appropriately.
- Have a conversation with your loved one, if possible and have them share and document their wishes in the event of a medical crisis.
- Communication is the Key to to Keeping your loved one Healthy and Independent at home. Stay attentive and listen to the things that your loved one is and isn’t saying. Be an active participant in their lives and be receptive to their concerns and needs.
To contact ElderCare at Home
Contact our office at (888) 285-0093 for more information or email us below. Thanks for joining us today and we’ll see you again next week!