Tuesday Tips for Caregivers! Caregiver Tips to Beat Stress
Focusing on the rewarding aspects of caregiving can also help you beat caregiver stress. We’ve compiled a short list of tips for getting in touch with positive emotions and fighting stress, gathered from Today’s Caregiver Magazine and the Family Caregiver Alliance:
· Learn to recognize warning signs of stress and frustration, whether it’s losing patience more quickly or physical symptoms such as headaches or fatigue.
· Practice physical and mental relaxation techniques: exercising, meditating, listening to music, or whatever works for you. Take time for yourself.
· Rethink a difficult situation objectively, so you can avoid unhelpful thought patterns that may be causing more frustration. (Read more detailed tips from Family Caregiver Alliance.)
· Find your “why” and remind yourself of it: “A daily reminder of why you are caregiving will help anchor you and help you realize your own reward,” says Today’s Caregiver. Whether it’s a photo of your loved one or an affirmation to yourself, it can help keep your relationship hopeful, healthy, and positive.
· Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Family members and friends may be willing to assist with caregiving duties or household chores, or simply provide a sympathetic ear. Sharing your feelings with a counselor, spiritual adviser, or support group can also be extraordinarily valuable.