Tuesday Tips for Caregivers – Keeping Your Loved One Healthy and Happy
As a caregiver, your main goal is to ensure that the person you care for is healthy and happy.
By following these tips below you can make sure your loved one is feeling at their best at all times.
- Make sure appointments don’t get missed. It happens, you overslept, your loved one is not interested in getting ready in a hurry, and you cancel their doctor’s appointment. We all have been there, but make sure to reschedule that appointment and ensure that no critical appointments go missed. Be his/her biggest advocate.
- Keep medications safe and simple. Many seniors have a long list of medications, all with different side effects. It can be easy to miss a dose or double dose on another. Simplify the way you disperse medication to your loved one by assigning each medication into an appropriate pill box that YOU control. This will limit the amount of mix ups.
- Stay active with your loved one. Keeping exercise in the patient’s routine is critical. Rather than sitting them in front of a television, try taking a nice walk around the neighborhood later in the evening or early in the morning so it is cooler. Exercise improves sleep, health, stability, and even decreases the risk of falls.
- Stay nutrient savvy. Keep your loved one on a healthy diet. Pick snacks low in carbohydrates and sugars. Always remember that saying, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”.
- Safe proof your house- Install lights near stairways and remove any rugs that are lying in the pathways. Keep glass dishes higher and plastic ware lower where the patient can reach. You may want to remove sharp objects like knives and scissors. Many improvements may take place in order to ensure your loved one is safe, such as, grab bars in the shower, wheelchair ramps into the house, and locks on doors to ensure they don’t wander.
- Look into wander and safe I.D. bracelets.