Tuesday Tips for Caregivers – Resistance to Care
One of the toughest challenges you can face when caring for the elderly is RESISTANCE TO CARE. Here is today’s Tuesday Tips for Caregiver’s. If you suspect that your loved one will be resistant to care — whether from family, other close contacts or a service — you might be hesitant to bring up the topic.
To start communicating with your loved one about his or her need for care:
- Determine what help is needed. Make an honest assessment of what kind of help your loved one needs and which services might work best.
- Choose a time when you and your loved one are relaxed.This will make it easier for you and your loved one to listen to each other and speak your minds.
- Ask about your loved one’s preferences. Does your loved one have a preference about which family member or what type of service provides care? While you might not be able to meet all of your loved one’s wishes, it’s important to take them into consideration. If your loved one has trouble understanding you, simplify your explanations and the decisions you expect him or her to make.
- Enlist the help of family members. Family and friends might be able to help you persuade your loved one to accept help.
- Don’t give up. If your loved one doesn’t want to discuss the topic the first time you bring it up, try again later.
To contact ElderCare at Home
Please call us at (888) 285-0093. Thanks for joining us for today’s Tuesday Tips for Caregivers and we’ll se you again next week!